Sunday, June 14, 2015

Overlooking An Offense

About a week ago, I was reflecting on the end of the Proverbs challenge and the message that I needed to be less quarrelsome. Today, while talking to a friend, I had the opportunity to overlook an offense. Yesterday, my friend and I had talked about seeing each other this week (he is only in town for a little while) and for my part I thought it was decided that we had plans. Anyways, today he sent me a message that, in short, asked if I had any intentions of seeing him this week. My feelings were hurt and I was confused because I never gave him any indication otherwise. I started to respond, upset, but I stopped myself and instead asked when he was available. 

I'm glad I did because it turns out he was feeling insecure about people not wanting to see him. Overlooking the offense prevented a fight and gave me the opportunity to be supportive of my friend. Being patient, at least long enough to understand, meant not having to try to take back what couldn't be unsaid. Be patient, slow to anger, and quick to overlook an offense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment