Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Love Forgives

S scripture: "What I have forgiven, if I have forgiven anything, I did it for your sakes in the presence of Christ." 2 Corinthians 2:10
O observation: Love forgives. The scriptures says we are to forgive. Forgiveness does not absolve a person from their wrong doing, but instead turns the problem over to God. Forgiveness is choosing to let God handle it (vengeance is the Lord's) and to put away the scripted arguments (after all God is taking care of it, not you). The act of forgiveness is like releasing yourself from prison and being filled with peace. If for nothing else, love forgives because God forgave us through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Even Jesus forgave the men who put Him on the cross, even as He lay their dying He used his last few words to offer forgiveness (Luke 23:34). If Jesus, in agony, could forgive then we can forgive in our hurt. 
A application: I have found that if someone says they are sorry or shows signs of regret then I am quickly able to offer forgiveness, but if they aren't remorseful for the hurt they have caused then I become angry and my heart hardens towards them. I do forgive them, usually after a day, but it isn't instantaneously or in the middle of hurt. I choose today to forgive like Jesus and to allow God to sort it out for me.
P prayer: God, help me to forgive as quickly as Jesus forgave on the cross. In Your loving name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment